March 20, 2020
Dear SPUSD Community,
Thank you for your support during this community emergency and time of uncertainty. Information from state and local authorities changes daily, and we appreciate your flexibility as South Pasadena Unified School District (SPUSD) responds to guidance from health authorities and government officials. No one knows what the future holds, but the health and safety of students, families, and employees remain our top priority.
Today’s update from the Los Angeles County Office of Education included the recommendation that districts extend school closure dates until May 5, 2020 in response to the COVID-19 emergency. SPUSD will be following this recommendation. For all employees, the expected return date is Monday, May 4. For students, the expected return date is Tuesday, May 5. Please note that these dates may be subject to change.
In light of these changes, we wanted to share additional updates about the schedule moving forward, including the expected launch of our Independent Study Distance Learning Program on April 6, 2020.
SPUSD REVISED SCHEDULE
- March 16-20, 2020
- Teachers began professional development to assist with the transition to online learning platforms for all students.
- Food service staff provided more than 300 meals daily for students in need.
- March 23-27, 2020
- Teachers will continue professional development and will create online curriculum in order to launch the SPUSD Independent Study Distance Learning Program (ISDLP).
- Parents will receive detailed information about the expected roll-out of ISDLP for students.
- Parents will receive detailed information about SPUSD’s Chromebook distribution and at-home internet access for students in need.
- Food service will continue for students in need.
- Support staff will continue to provide essential services on school campuses.
- March 30-April 3, 2020 (Spring Break)
- Chromebooks will be distributed to students in need.
- SPUSD staff will observe Spring Break vacation.
- Students should rest and relax before expected ISDLP.
- No food service will be provided.
- April 6-April 10, 2020
- SPUSD Independent Study Distance Learning Program is expected to begin on Monday, April 6, for all students.
- Food service for students in need may resume.
- April 13-May 4, 2020
- All SPUSD schools will remain closed, but the Independent Study Distance Learning Program will continue for all students.
- SPUSD Extended Day Program will remain closed until school is back in session.
- Food service will be determined at a later date.
This is a situation that none of us expected, even a few weeks ago. We understand how challenging these decisions are, and we appreciate your support and patience as we create the best possible scenario for our students and families. We are very proud of our teachers and staff who have been working around the clock under tremendous pressure to support each other and to support continued learning within our community.
Geoff Yantz, Ed.D.