South Pasadena Unified School District

Skip to main content

Health Information and Forms

Immunization Requirements for School Entry 


California law requires all children to be fully immunized with all state required vaccines in order to attend school. We are unable to allow a child to attend class if he/she has immunizations currently due on the date of admission. Children are exempt from immunization requirements only if a parent or guardian submits to the school a written statement from a licensed physician (M.D. or D.O.) which states:


  • That the physical condition or medical circumstances of the child are such that the required immunization(s) is not indicated.
  • Which vaccines are being exempted.
  • Whether the medical exemption is permanent or temporary.
  • The expiration date, if the exemption is temporary.


The immunization laws in California were updated on July 1, 2019. The requirements of the new law can be found at Several changes were made to the requirements, and students admitted to any school in California after 7/1/19, whether for the first time or as a transfer student, are subject to the new laws. 


For information about the specific immunization requirements for school children in California, please visit



Abby Silver,  RN, MSN, ACNP-BC

Coordinator of Health Services

South Pasadena Unified School District


If you would like more information about where to obtain vaccinations for families and children, please click on the file entitled Health Community Resources.


If your child has a serious food allergy, please let your child’s teacher and the school Health Clerk know about it. Particularly in the elementary grades, class parties often include food treats. You are welcome to drop off safe, alternate treats or snacks for your child so that his/her teacher can substitute the safe snack for the food that the other children in the class are eating. Please consult your child’s teacher to make these arrangements.


If your child requires Benadryl or epinephrine (EpiPen, etc.) at school to be used in the event of an exposure to a food allergen or an anaphylactic reaction, please complete the District’s Medication Consent form and have it signed by your doctor at the beginning of every school year. California law requires that a new form be submitted annually. Medication must be picked up at the end of the school year or it will be discarded.


ALLERGIES REPORTED ON AERIES ARE NOT RECOGNIZED BY THE DISTRICT MEAL PROGRAM. If you would like your child to participate in the meal program, please visit the Food and Nutrition Services website (under Departments) for more information. A completed Medical Accommodation form (under the Menus tab) is required and must be signed by your child’s physician. Once this is complete and received, you will be contacted by the Food Services Nutrition Director. Please do not assume this has been put into action without direct confirmation from the Nutrition Director. Please be advised that the safest option is to prepare his/her lunch at home so that you can be certain that your child is not being exposed to any foods to which he/she is allergic. Substitutions can occur without warning, and occasionally vendors are replaced, which may mean that a type of food which had ingredients that were previously safe is no longer be safe.


Thank you for your consideration.


Health Information and Forms